I love the new year. It brings all new possibilities for travel, not to mention a tax return to fund said travels. As I mentioned in my 2016 review post, my 2017 travel plans will be on a pretty tight budget. That doesn’t mean that I won’t be traveling this year, just that my trips will be on a smaller scale than last year’s vacations. While not much is firmly set in place, I do have some big plans (as always) for this coming year and I’m excited to share them!
I’m planning on taking four main trips, one for each season, with a few more sprinkled in between for good measure if I can swing it. The two countries I most wanted to visit this year are Mexico and Canada, because I’ve never been to either and we’re practically neighbors. Other than that, I’m planning on traveling domestically by plane, train or automobile. Here’s how it all shakes out (hopefully):
- A girls’ trip to Mexico! What better place to escape the Chicago winter than the sunny beaches of Mexico? Right now I’m thinking Playa Del Carmen or Tulum with a day trip to Chichen Itza. My besties and I are thinking we’ll rent a house on vrbo.com and just relax in the sunshine. This is still in the works, so I don’t have all of the details confirmed, but it’s the trip I’m most looking forward to!
- Mike and I are planning on revisiting Grand Rapids, MI for a long weekend in April to see my favorite, Aretha Franklin at DeVos Performance Hall. Hopefully, we’ll stay at the JW Marriott again and hit all the places we missed the first time around.
- Canada! I don’t care who I go with or how I get there. I’m going. I want to see Montreal first, but I would certainly take Toronto as well. In a perfect world, I’d like to drive there and spend a night on the way there or back near Niagara Falls. Right now, I’m just dreaming, but I’m confident I can make it happen.
- A solo trip somewhere in the States. I’ve got my eye on somewhere in the Northeast like Boston or Maine or even back to New York. Hopefully it will be somewhere I can get some great seafood and clear views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Mike and I are both dying to get to the desert. My Aunt and Uncle own a house in Arizona and we’re thinking of flying out there and hopefully using it as a home base to visit Saguaro National Park, Antelope Canyon, and all the other natural beauty the state has to offer. Maybe we’ll rent a car and bring our camping gear to spend a night under the stars.
All that’s left is to figure out the budgets and actually book my 2017 travel plans and I’ll be set! If you have any good recommendations for any of these destinations please share them in the comments.
What are your 2017 travel plans? Where are you most excited to visit?