Travel Inspiring Quotes (Part 1)
Welcome to my newest weekly feature, Top Five Fridays!
For my first edition, I wanted to quote some of my favorite writers speaking about my favorite subject: travel. Some of my biggest travel inspirations have been found in books and essays. And, in my humble opinion, travel and tales go hand in hand. Whether it’s been a book that I’ve read on the road, or a book that has inspired me to get on said road, most of my travel memories have been paired with good books. So with that, I give you my Top Five Travel Inspiring Quotes, the Male Author Edition:
- “Stuff your eyes with wonder. Live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451: The original and more eloquent “YOLO”. This book gets truer and more poignant with each passing year, and the quote itself is a serious call to action. Get out there! See the world! Adventure awaits!
- “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl, The Minpins: A whimsical and thoughtful reminder that you don’t have to travel far to find the beauty in the world. Some of my favorite trips have been short excursions to explore my own city and state.
- “Wandering is the most addictive drug there is, I think, and every hidden road leads to a dozen more.” – Stephen King, Wolves of The Calla (Dark Towers Series, Book 5): This is an accurate statement that all travel addicts know to be true. Once the travel bug bites, it’s hard to shake. Luckily, the only thing that is harmed with this addiction is my savings account.
- “So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” – Hunter S. Thompson: A simple answer, really. And one that leads me to another great, travel-inspiring quote: “Do not wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.”
- “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Keruoac, The Dharma Bums: This quote is perhaps the one that inspires me the most at the moment, as I attempt to balance my travel writing with a corporate 9 to 5 job. But! It’s also a great reminder to make no excuses. Desk jobs are a dime a dozen, but travel experience is irreplaceable.
Stay tuned for more Top Five Fridays!
Share your favorite travel inspiring quotes in the comments!